This page describes resources for healthcare professionals to support their patients with CSU.
Patient resources are recommended as a tool for the consistent monitoring of symptoms and routine management of CSU, as:1–3
- the severity of symptoms can change day to day4
- no established biomarkers currently exist for CSU5,6
- key symptoms (such as itch and pain) can only be assessed subjectively
As part of our mission to be as environmentally friendly as possible, we provide our resources in electronic form. These materials should not be printed by healthcare professionals.
Click on the links below to view the patient reported outcomes resources, and if you have any further requests, please contact a Novartis representative.
Retrospective (4 weeks)
Use at first consultation and every follow-up consultation
Symptoms scored daily
Prospective (1 week)
Use at every follow-up consultation
Quality of life
Not specific to CSU
Retrospective (1 week)
Use at first consultation and every 6 months thereafter
*Recommended for evaluating CSU control and monitoring CSU status in routine clinical practice by the EAACI/GA2LEN/EDF/WAO international urticaria guidelines.1
†Recommended for monitoring quality of life of patients with urticaria by EAACI/GA2LEN/EDF/WAO, NICE and the BSACI.1,10
BSACI, British Society for Allergy & Clinical Immunology; CSU, chronic spontaneous urticaria; DLQI, Dermatology Life Quality Index; EAACI, European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology; EDF, European Dermatology Forum; GA2LEN, Global Allergy and Asthma European Network; NICE, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; UAS7, urticaria activity score at seven days; UCT, urticaria control test; WAO, World Allergy Organization.
- Zuberbier T, et al. Allergy 2018;73(7):1393–1414.
- Maurer M, et al. Allergy 2011;66:317–330.
- Moestrup K, et al. Int J Dermatol 2017;56(12):1342–1348.
- Flood EM, et al. Patient 2013;6(3):225–231.
- Kolkhir P, et al. Clin Exp Allergy 2017;47(1):19–36.
- Marzano AV, et al. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2019;33(5):918–924.
- Weller K, et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014;133(5):1365–1372.
- Mlynek A, et al. Allergy 2008;63(6):777–780.
- Finlay AY, et al. Clin Exp Dermatol 1994;19(3):210–216.
- Powell RJ, et al. Clin Exp Allergy 2015;45(3):547–565.