Effectively managing the symptoms of your patients with SPMS through a comprehensive approach, can help to delay the impact of progressive disease and protect their brain and cognitive reserve.1 There are many non-pharmacological measures and lifestyle factors which may help contribute to this.1
GP, general practitioner; MRI, magnetic resonance imaging; MS, multiple sclerosis; NHS, National Health Service; SPMS, secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.
- Giovannoni G, Butzkueven H, Dhib-Jalbut S, et al. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2016 Sep;9 Suppl 1:S5–S48.
- Sumowski J, Rocca M, Leavitt V, et al. Neurology. 2014 May 20; 82(20): 1776–1783.
- Campbell J, Langdon D, Cercignani M, et al. Neural Plast. 2016; 2016: 4292585.
- Motl RW, et al. Benefits of exercise training in multiple sclerosis. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2015;16:2055217318786745.
- NHS UK. Treatment Multiple Sclerosis. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/multiple-sclerosis/living-with/. Last accessed November 2021.
- Prakash R, Snook E, Motl R. Brain Res. 2010 June 23; 1341C: 41–51.
- MS Trust. Rehabilitation. 2018. Available at: https://mstrust.org.uk/a-z/rehabilitation. Last acessed November 2021.
- MS Trust. Physiotherapy. 2018. Available at: https://mstrust.org.uk/a-z/physiotherapy. Last accessed November 2021.
- MS Trust. Occupational therapy. 2018. Available at: https://mstrust.org.uk/a-z/occupational-therapy-ot. Last accessed November 2021.
- MS Trust. Psychologist. 2020. Available at: https://mstrust.org.uk/a-z/psychologist. Last accessed November 2021.
- National MS society: Speech & Swallowing: The basic facts. Available at: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/NationalMSSociety/media/MSNationalFiles.... (Last accessed: March 2020)
- MS Trust. Speech and language therapy. 2018. Available at: https://mstrust.org.uk/a-z/speech-and-language-therapy. Last accessed November 2021.
- Kappus N et al. Cardiovascular risk factors are associated with increased lesion burden and brain atrophy in multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2016;87:181–187.
- Jick SS et al. Epidemiology of multiple sclerosis: results from a large observational study in the UK. J Neurol. 2015;262(9):2033–2041.
- Braley TJ, Chervin RD. Fatigue in multiple sclerosis: mechanisms, evaluation, and treatment.Sleep. 2010;33:1061–1067.
- D’Hooghe M B et al. Modifiable factors influencing relapses and disability in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2010;16:773–785.
- Ozcan ME et al. Association between smoking and cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2014;10:1715–1719.
- Zivadinov R, et al. Autoimmune comorbidities are associated with brain injury in multiple sclerosis. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016;37:1010–1016.
- MS Trust. MS and me: a self-management guide to living with MS. Available at: https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/ms-and-me.pdf. Last accessed November 2021.