How MAYZENT works in SPMS with active disease.
MAYZENT is a novel therapy for SPMS with active disease1
Selective S1P1 and S1P5 receptor modulator1
Potent effect on S1P1 and S1P5 receptors, which are widely expressed on cells of the immune system and the CNS.
Impacts MS pathology1–4
- Inhibits the egress of lymphocytes from lymph nodes to reduce CNS inflammation.
Distribution and elimination1
- Readily crosses the blood-brain barrier.
- Short half-life of ~30 hours with a washout period of around 10 days.
Indication: MAYZENT is indicated for the treatment of adult patients with SPMS with active disease evidenced by relapses or imaging features of inflammatory activity.5
CNS, central nervous system; MS, multiple sclerosis; S1P, sphingosine-1-phosphate; SPMS, secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.
- Novartis DOF_GLNS_SIPO_0127.
- Kappos L et al. Lancet. 2018;391:1263–1273, plus supplementary appendix.
- Benedict RHB et al. Impact of siponimod on cognition in patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: results from the phase 3 EXPAND study. Poster presented at: AAN Meeting; 26 April 2018; Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Arnold DL et al. Presented at: the 35th ECTRIMS Congress; 11–13 September 2019; Stockholm, Sweden.
- MAYZENT (siponimod) Summary of Product Characteristics.