JAKAVI is recommended for patients with MF with symptomatic splenomegaly and/or MF-related symptoms1–3
Patients with MF benefit from treatment to stop their increasingly debilitating symptoms from worsening.4
Patients with intermediate-2 or high-risk disease with symptomatic splenomegaly and/or MF-related constitutional symptoms can benefit from JAKAVI as a first-line treatment – as recommended by the BSH, NICE and the SMC.1–3
Before treatment initiation, and during maintenance with JAKAVI, it is important to:5
- Select the recommended starting dose based on baseline platelet count
- Perform a complete blood count, including white blood cell count differential, followed by monitoring every 2–4 weeks until doses are stabilised and then as clinically indicated
- Titrate the dose based on safety and efficacy according to the SmPC, discontinuing treatment for platelet counts <50,000/mm3 or absolute neutrophil counts <500/mm3
- Observe patients for signs and symptoms of infections, including testing for tuberculosis and resolving pre-existing infections prior to treatment initiation
- Perform periodic skin examinations for patients with an increased risk of skin cancer
- Monitor lipid levels and treat according to guideline recommendations
- Consult the SmPC for JAKAVI contraindications and possible drug–drug interactions
BSH, British Society for Haematology; MF, myelofibrosis; NICE, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; SMC, Scottish Medicines Consortium; SmPC, Summary of Product Characteristics.
- Reilly J, et al. Br J Haematol. 2014;167:418–438.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Ruxolitinib for treating disease-related splenomegaly or symptoms in adults with myelofibrosis [TA386]. 2016. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta386. Last accessed March 2020.
- Scottish Medicines Consortium. Ruxolitinib (as phosphate), 5 mg, 15 mg, & 20 mg tablets (JAKAVI®). SMC No 867/13, 2015. Available at: https://www.scottishmedicines.org.uk/media/2277/ruxolitinib_jakavi_final_february_2015_for_website.pdf. Last accessed March 2020.
- Verstovsek S, et al. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:799–807.
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals UK Ltd. JAKAVI® summary of product characteristics.