The mode of action for Xolair in CSU.
Xolair directly targets and binds to IgE,1–3 preventing histamine release.2,3
- Xolair binds to free IgE, preventing it from binding to the FcεRI receptors on mast cells and basophils and results in downregulation of FcεRI receptors on these cells.1,3
- The exact mechanism of action of Xolair in the treatment of CSU is uncertain, and improvements in symptoms are likely due to a combination of mechanisms.1,3,4
*Post hoc analysis of phase 3 studies (ASTERIA I & II, and GLACIAL), demonstrated clinically meaningful improvements in quality of life (measured using DLQI) in patients with CSU.5
Indication: Xolair is indicated as add-on therapy for the treatment of chronic spontaneous urticaria in adult and adolescent (12 years and above) patients with inadequate response to H1-antihistamine treatment.1
CSU, chronic spontaneous urticaria; DLQI, Dermatology Life Quality Index; IgE, immunoglobulin E.
- Xolair® (omalizumab) 150 mg Summary of Product Characteristics.
- Chang TW et al. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2015;135(2):337–342.
- Kaplan AP et al. Allergy 2017;72(4):519–533.
- Kocatürk G et al. Turkderm-Turk Arch Dermatol Venereology 2018;52:112–119.
- Finlay AY et al. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2017;31(10):1715–1721.